Saturday, March 26, 2011

Namaste


During the last week Chris and I have sent out a few emails sharing our blog address with friends. The response has been overwhelming and also quite humbling. Your support means the world to us.

The only problem with this outpouring of love is support is the feelings of inadequacy it brings to the surface. We really could not do this without a tremendous support system. It's because of you that an ordinary family like ours can be blessed by the addition of another person and another culture. Although we appreciate all your kind words, we are not selflessly saving a child. Through this child (and Luba, Quint and Lana) we are becoming a family. We are learning together about unconditional love. Believe me, our children have taught us more in this area than we have taught them.

When I told my brother we were adopting again he was supportive (as always) but humorously suggested after that after adoption number three I might want to consider some therapy (probably a good idea.) Another dear friend asked if this third adoption wasn't an attempt to fill an unmet need (with friends like this, who needs therapy.) I feel extremely fortunate for people who love me enough to be this honest with me. They held up a mirror and asked me to take a look. What I saw was foggy and cracked, broken and unframed. But on closer examination I discovered the mirror had already begun to take on another form. It was no longer just a piece of glass reflecting my own imperfections. I saw a mosaic being formed by a colorful collection of mismatched pieces. Just like our family.

Chris and I believe that the only thing we have done for Luba and Lana (and now Laxmi Priya) is provide them with the opportunity to reach their potential. It's the same thing we do for Quint and what parents all around the world do for their children (especially the mothers who must relinquish children for reasons beyond their control.) Then we get to watch in amazement at the effect these wonderful children have on those around them. We get to share in their gifts to this world. This is the priceless gift of adoption.

We are only able to receive this gift through the generosity of our friends and family. Thanks to all of you who selfishly offer to help make this dream of ours come true. Our co-workers, who pick up the slack when we take off at a moments notice to travel around the world. Our Moms who wait anxiously, deferring their own plans, for a call to come look after Quint, Lana and our high maintenance pets. Our friends who invite us to dinner and graciously include our four year old or offer lunch, concert tickets or a good laugh to help take our minds off the wait. Friends who drive our children or host the play date when it's really our turn. You are our support system, you make this possible. We can't thank you enough.

So that's why I decided to write this blog. To keep you, our support system posted on our progress and share the blessing of adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment