Monday, June 20, 2011

A Day Like No Other

We begin our morning with a skype call home to check on our family. It's great talking to everyone and it warms my heart to be able to see their faces, isn't technology grand! A nice breakfast at the hotel and we are off to the orphanage.

Our hotel is in Bhubanswar, the capital of Orissa and the orphanage is in Cuttack, about a 45 minute drive toward the coast. The scenery is amazing, beauty and contrasts abound. The last stretch is a dirt road with girls and women dressed in colorful sari's carrying baskets on their heads and working on a road project. I would love to take lots of pictures but it doesn't feel appropriate. We snap shots when we can take them in an inconspicuously, but sometimes we just have to settle for capturing the images in our minds.

The orphanage pops up as an unexpected oasis of beauty with a georgous garden out front and a nice balcony. It looks like we've just arrived at a hotel in the Bahamas. First stop is the office of the secretary. She greets us warmly and we see photos of children who have been adopted adorning her desk and walls. She tells us that many of these children come back to visit with families or boyfriends (that gives us all a little chuckle.) She said she doesn't mind this because it is their home. That's exactly the feeling I got too, this is home, not an institution.

Next stop, the room with the paperwork where we meet several others including a student from Orissa now studying at Cornell University. Then we are taken into the official visiting room.

After a few minutes of excited anticipation we see our beautiful, smiley girls come through the door accompanied by several aunties (a sweet term of endearment used here.) She is so excited she's about to pop! She is carrying two beautiful bouquets of flowers and looks adorable all decked out in a cute outfit and jewelry. She comes to us happily and now WE are about to pop! The energy in the room is contagious and everyone is caught up in the moment. Laxmi Priya's running around (you would never guess she had limited sight,) jumping off the furniture and Chris and I taking turns keeping her from falling and giving her hugs. Our friend is catching this crazy scene on video. This continue for awhile and then the aunties take Laxmi Priya to lunch and we have a little down time. We are served a delicious plate of mangos as we talk to our friend and some of the other aunties who come in to visit with us. We have a quick Oriya language lesson that includes a misunderstanding between the words party and potty that crack us all up.

Then a much calmer Laxmi Priya joins the group. She's ready to share some of my mango and have some quiet snuggles. Our original plan was to visit for the day and go back to the hotel without her. It was clear to us, and the aunties that Laxmi Priya has other plans. Permission is granted for us to take her back to the hotel with a promise to visit again tomorrow and Wednesday.

A quick, yet touching stop is made to the home of the parents of our new friend and then Laxmi Priya sleeps in our laps back to the hotel. We all take a much needed rest and then spend the evening as guests at our friend's home. What a fantastic experience. To be welcomed into their home is an honor. Family pictures are shared, the children play, we eat a delicious meal. The perfect ending to a perfect day.

Photos coming soon :)
Channing

5 comments:

  1. Your post made me cry, Chan. How exciting to meet your daughter and even get to take her with you tonight. I cannot wait to meet her!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Channing and Chris, I am praying right now, as I'm assuming that you will be heading to the passport office soon. I hadn't realized until just a bit ago that our "Gotcha" Days are exactly one month apart! We were there and met Jagat exactly one month ago today! How exciting!

    I remember sitting in the Ginger "net zone" and reading about how you were obsessively checking my blog. The tables have definitely truned, and now I'm checking your all of the time...probably half a dozen times just today! :)

    SO happy to hear that Laxmipriya is with you and that you're having such a wonderful experience there. Please give my love to Swati and to Soudemani, please....and I'm not sure if I asked, but if you can get pictures of sweet Naomi (She was in Jagat's room.), I would really appreciate it. I'm telling everyone I know about her!

    Congratulations!!!

    -sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to the family Priya. so excited to meet you. much love with tears streaming down my face, Aunt Elizabeth; God Bless you all and the rest of this journey. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Channing & Chris,

    I can't tell you the number times I have re-read this post.

    :)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful beginning to your new life together and continuation of the love that priya has so clearly already received. margaret

    ReplyDelete