Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Heading Home Today!

This portion of our journey is coming to an end. Priya and I will be heading to the airport this evening at 6pm. We don't fly out until after 10 but I want to make sure we get there with plenty of time to spare. This wonderful hotel has given me a late check out so we will be hanging around here until time to go.

Our little Priya has become quite full of herself in the last day or so. She's also really adjusted to our hotel routine. When we walk around the hotel she says "hi" to everyone, it's like being at the Plaza with Eloise. Every morning we've been getting up at 6am to make a Skype call home. She usually sleeps through half the call then wakes up a little groggy and joins us. This morning she woke me up with a giggles and a few gentle taps saying Mummy, Mummy. We've been sleeping together in the giant king size bed. She's been really good about going to sleep after her story every night, with her head on my shoulder. Last night she kept laughing and kissing me and doing everything possible to keep us both awake. After an hour I moved to the sofa. She coninued to call me and giggle for a few more minutes and then finally gave in and went to sleep. As I write this she is sitting on the sofa saying "hey Mummy" over and over and laughing.

We've been working on some basic self care skills and she's doing very well. She loves brushing her own teeth. The shower is okay, not her favorite but she doesn't complain. She's learned to drink from a sippy cup. She loves to feed herself with a spoon and does remarkably well (at the orphanage she was fed with scoops of food being put in her mouth by the hand of her caregiver.) She's doing well with the potty but will not get off and on by herself. I'm sure once she see's Lana doing it, it won't be a problem. She puts her shoes on by herself and smiles with great satisfaction when the task is complete. She continues to be very dainty. She carefully wipes her hands and mouth with a napkin and has started wiping my hands and mouth also.

I got her some crayons and paper the other day when we were at the mall. I'm not sure if she had ever been given a chance to draw before. Now she really enjoys scribbling on the paper. She's figured out the stacking cups and likes to line them up according to size and then stack them back up (that's what she's doing now.) She shows me her finished product with pride.

I just realized I haven't written anything about her sight. Probably because it hasn't been an issue. She sees more than you would think possible. She gets around very well in the room and in our hotel. Walking in the mall is a slight challenge but only because of the occasional cord on the floor or uneven surface. She holds my hand when we walk like any other 4 year old and we are managing just fine, even the escalators aren't a problem.

It's time for us to go down for our fabulous breakfast. Each day the waiters get more bold with their questions for me and it's pretty funny what intersts them. They take turns coming over to the table checking on us and inquiring about our life in the US. Priya loves the attention. Yesterday one guy wanted to know what type of job I have and what I majored in at college. I wonder what it will be this morning?

5 comments:

  1. Channing and Priya,

    I wish you two a safe trip home. Thank you so much for the updates and photos. I couldn't help but laugh at the "Hey Mummy" interruptions. With the kids having 1/2 camps this week, I'm hearing the same thing.

    Be safe and see you two soon!!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Channing,
    So excited this journey is about to end!!!
    Travel mercies of the best kind, see you in the morning.
    love,
    Gega

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to hear about the travel home. wishing it all goes well. love and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't you just hear the giggling when she an Lana get together?! Have a safe flight home my friend :)

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything goes well with the flight home. Let me or Ashley know if you guys need anything, and when you want us to bring Riley to play with Lana and Priya.

    Jim Clary

    ReplyDelete