Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Orphanage Day Two-Passport Day One

Today Laxmi Priya and I have had a wonderful day, Chris, not so much. Well, I'll bet he would say that his day was about one third wonderful. I can't ask him because he and Priya are both upstairs in our room, sound asleep. I'm down in the lobby, listening to a much needed cooling rain and trying to keep you all informed about our journey.

After a good night's sleep by all and a nice breakfast, the guys dropped Priya and I off at the orphanage and went to the passport office. Their visit revealed that the passport was supposed to be mailed today (or maybe not)and it will be delivered to the orphanage tomorrow, probably. Still not 100 % sure it actually made the mail, but we have a tracking number. Thanks to our friends who traveled before us, our new local friend, and all your prayers. We wouldn't be this close to passport aquosition you!

While the guys were enduring the perils of the passport office I was having the pleasure of meeting my daughter's friends. I must tell you these are amazing children! They are gracious hosts, polite, cheerful, and loving. To all you parents out there who are waiting for your turn to make this amazing trip, I can't possibly describe how fantastic it is is to spend time with these children. And I took lots of pictures that I am excited to share.

As we were driving to the orphanage I was afraid that Priya might think that she was being returned. Just as I asked our friend to make sure Priya understood that today was a visit but that she would be returning to the hotel with us, she fell asleep. She woke up as we were pulling up to the orphanage. When we got out of the car it was clear that she, and all the other children, knew exactly what this day was about. Her friends were standing on the balcony screaming her name and she was grinning ear to ear and waving, yelling back as I carried her in. When I put her down to slip off my shoes she grabbed my hand and started to take me to her friends. It was clear she knew the routine and it was finally her turn to take center stage.

We had to make a stop in the office for a little official business. She waited patiently for awhile, then got up and ran out the door toward a group of older children. A few minutes later she summoned me to join her and off we went to meet her friends. She took me to her room and a swarm of children followed. I was lead to a nice seat as Priya "introduced" me around. I got smiles, introductions, questions, curious head bobbles (a ubiquidous delight here in India) hugs and some possesive kisses from Priya. She was happy to share me with her friends but if they got too friendly, she would run up and give me a bear hug often ending in a smiley kiss. These children have clearly been loved and know how to love.

They also know every step to this routine. They saw the big bag I was carrying and knew it contained a few surprises to share (they have seen lots of people like me come and go with our goodie bags.) I reached in to get a sip of water (it was really hot today!) and everyone took a giant step closer and some of the bolder ones put out their hands. I passed around some plastic rings I had brought for the girls. To my surprise, even the boys were delighted by the sparkly treasures. A little while later I pulled out a bag of balloons. Then the fun really started. After a lenghty distribution process, making sure that everyone (even the babies) got a balloon, we all started to play.

A little later I was treated to a nice manicure by one of the older girls and another painted our feet red. I also get a bindi. I was sweating so much I wasn't sure it would stay on!

Just as I was starting to wonder how in the world I could possibly leave this country with just one of these amazing children, many of the them started to tell me about their families in America (and Italy.) Boy was I relieved (and I'm sure Luba and Quint are as they read this) because our house is starting to fill up. They shared their albums (the picture books sent by adoptive families and an introduction for their children) and we talked about their families. I noticed that Priya had grabbed her album as well and was showing it to some of her friends. I'm so glad to know that many of these children, especially the older ones and sibling groups, have found their forever families. This orphanage and the people who work with them are doing an great job of caring for and placing these children.

An older boy saw Chris coming up the walk and ran up to let me know "uncle" was here. (The older children call us "auntie" and "uncle" and the little ones call us mommy and daddy.) He yelled out to Chris from the balcony and once I gave him a little nudge he ran downstairs to encourage him to join in the fun. Chris came up and within seconds was engulfed by children. I looked up and there was a little girl walking on the tops of his feat and others gather around waiting for a turn. He was sweating so much that when a stray balloon bounced off his head we actually saw a splash! You know we were all having fun if that kind of heat wasn't slowing us down. We played a little while longer and then said goodbye until tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a very happy/sad day (as Luba used to say.) We will visit the orphanage for the last time of the trip, do our paperwork and say our goodbyes. As joyful as it is to be beginning our life with our little girl, it's hard to say goodbye to the people who have taught her how to love and be loved.

(Pictures are coming soon)
Channing

2 comments:

  1. Channing!! I love your updates (and can't wait to see pictures)! So thankful that you have been able to experience the wonders of that beautiful place--you are right...our kids know how to love and be loved because of the way they were loved there. Praying that the passport reaches the orphanage tomorrow...that would be so great! Can't wait to talk to Chris and hear all about his trip to the passport office. So thankful that Tuna is there with you. Much love from Wisconsin--

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling inside and out! what a wonderful image of you and the children. We will say a prayer for the processing of the passport. hope it arrives safely. much love from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete